Friday, November 7, 2008

If only we could capture smells




Do you have an all time favorite smell? For me there are many but one that I'm not sure you can top is the way the air smells at Hume Lake. I arrived up here Monday evening, stepped out of the car and the very first thing on my list of things to do is get a great big sniff of this FANTASTIC mountain air. Oh it was amazing. A couple days later I took a walk around the lake. It may have been my longest time on record for completing the almost 3 mile trail. I would walk a while, catch a whiff, stop and draw in a long breath through my nose, take in the sights and then begin my walk again. The whole time I kept thinking how you can capture sounds and images but not smells. People have done their best to recreate smells and have come very close on a lot of fragrances. But they've never come close to the smell of the Hume Lake air. I love it! :)

Hume has been so relaxing. I've slept about 10 hours every night. I've checked some of my administrative to do's off my list and had some refreshing fellowship with some friends. I've also really enjoyed my study of the Word.

As I studied today I was reading about David when he was preparing to fight Goliath. He was suited up with armor and sword. The armor was not a good fit for him and was not able to even walk. So he removed the armor, picked up 5 stones and went out to defeat the giant.

I felt like the Lord revealed to me that we've all been equipped with our "sling shots".... our talents and we need to be using those gifts to do battle. First we need to embrace out gifts and use them how God desires us to use them. I can't fight a sling shot battle with a sword!!!

We need to put our talents to practice to better the world around us! The thing is David didn't wake up that morning with the bright idea that maybe a sling shot was the best weapon to fight Goliath. He knew he could use that tool to fight because he had practiced almost everyday of his life. We need to be exercising our gifts constantly so that when the time comes we can be ready to serve the Lord to the best of our ability.

Well.... that's where my heart and my brain have been today.... :) Here's a pic of the beautiful sunset this evening! I wish you could smell it too!!! :)

1 comment:

melissaw said...

I wish I could smell it! I seriously was thinking about Hume and the smell of the air and trees on Saturday night while on a date with Steve. I'm so happy you are relaxing. =)

Melissa